Getting a small nose without any deformities or defects is one of the beauty’s signs, this is the most important thing that all people want, especially women. The large noses holder searches for various ways to hide it; whether Cosmetics or home recipes.
The nose is a prominent part of the face, which makes it easily exposed to many reasons that change its shape, such as; injuries from accidents or fights, genetic, or congenital defects, and this affects ourselves in negative way, The problems of the nose are not only cosmetic but there are many other medical problems, such as; breathing problems, sinus, etc., which leads us to perform rhinoplasty.
Rhinoplasty (commonly referred to as a nose job) is a plastic surgery procedure on the nose to correct and reconstruct its shape and improve its function.
It can be done for cosmetic purposes, such; changes in the appearance of the shape of the nose, or be done for medical reasons, such; breath defects, sinus condition, and disfigurement resulting from congenital defects.
The rhinoplasty is first-time used by ancient Egyptians in ancient Egypt, in 2500 BC, in which papyrus have been found for a doctor called Edwin Smith, which contained an ancient Egyptian medical text related to nasal repair, the nasal cosmetic surgery was carried out in ancient India in 500 BC, then, the techniques of nasal reconstructing plastic surgery have appeared during the Roman Empire in 27 BC, in which the royal doctor Oribasius performed rhinoplasty to enhance the natural image of a patient without distorting the face, and accelerate the period of healing.
Nonetheless, the nose job was unknown to the West till the 10th century AD, until the surgeon Anglo-Saxon categorized nose surgery as internal surgery and external surgery, then, in 1887, the otolaryngologist John Orlando performed the first closed rhinoplasty in the United States. The researchers and experiences have been followed between the various ages and countries, up to 1960th, the surgeon Goodman reached to open nose surgery as the closest to the modern nose surgery, in 1982.
The benefits of rhinoplasty are different, depending on the condition of each patient, some people think the rhinoplasty is done just for a cosmetic procedure, but this is also can be done to treat medical problems so that rhinoplasty divided into cosmetic nose surgery and medical nose surgery.
Medical nose surgery
- Enlargement of the nose (making the nose bigger): This type is more therapeutic than cosmetically; there are some cases suffering from a small nose size, due to incomplete growth of the nose, an accident deformity, or the result of the removal of a part of the nose during a previous surgery. In this case, Nasal Reconstruction is done, in which the surgeon adds bone or cartilage to the nose, to correct the functional problems and change the shape of the nose.
- Improve the nasal septum “columellar”: there are patients suffering from nasal septum deviation, which causes breath defects, headache occurrence, and sinus problems. Here Rhinoplasty is called Septoplasty, in which the extra bone in the septum is resected, and reshape the nose so that the sinus problem and breath can be solved.
- Increasing the size of the nostrils: The doctor enlarges the nostrils, leads to opening the respiratory tract, because the patient had some gene, so the nostrils are a slightly narrow, causing difficulty breathing, especially during sleep.
Cosmetic nose surgery “Nose job”
- Nasal reduction (making the nose smaller): the process of nose reduction is a very simple cosmetic procedure, to treat the problem of a large size nose, which causes the shape of the face is asymmetrical. The surgeon makes cut within cartilages of the nose, then, removes parts of them, which leads to the reduction of the shape of the nose.
- Enhance the nose’s tip: the nose tip is a slug front part of the nose, there are patients suffering from enlargement of the tip of the nose so that rhinoplasty can be done to reshape the tip to be matched with the face.
- Straightening the nasal bridge: the nasal bridge is a small bone in the front of the nose, which takes a slight curve, and through rhinoplasty, the surgeon removes the excess bone, so that the patient can get a straight nose without curving.
- Improve the ethnic nose: there is a certain shape of the ethnic nose, due to genetically, and in this case, Secondary Rhinoplasty is done, it can improve the shape of the nose, and its consistency.
Types of rhinoplasty
The nose is made up of bones and cartilage, and the rhinoplasty can be performed in certain parts of the nose without the other parts, in which a lot of methods are appeared, and developed with the evolution of time. There are surgical methods, and non-surgical methods, depending on the patient’s nose problem.
The patient must be healthy, with the intact nose’s bones, and he should older than 18 years old, to make sure that he has passed the adolescence, and his nose has reached its adult size, and relatively stable.
There are two types of surgical rhinoplasty:
- Open rhinoplasty: the surgeon makes a small external incision to the columellar, which made to separate the skin from the inner tissues of the nose, to gain access to the interior of the nose. It can be done for cases that have obvious deviations and distortions.
- Closed rhinoplasty: the surgeon makes an internal incision between the upper and lower nasal cartilage, without external incisions, so that reduces the external wounds and scars, takes a less time, and the patient needs a less period of recovery.
Rhinoplasty whether open or closed is treat internal diseases of the nose, such problems of the respiratory tract and sinuses, Moreover, external nose diseases, such congenital anomalies, distortions, and asymmetrical nose appearance.
The non-surgical rhinoplasty:
Fillers injection: filler is a substance consisting of Hyaluronic acid, collagen, and Radiesse, which similar to the cartilage of the nose. Filler improves the shape of the nose without surgery, although it is used for correcting congenital anomalies of the nose, such as; improving the shape of the nose, the nasal septum, columellar, and enhance the greater alar, but does not change the size of the nose. Filler has been developed in the 21st century, In the past, it was used with biologically harmful tissues, such as; paraffin wax and silicone, until Dr. Andrew Tuan-Anh was succeeded in the development of benign techniques using soft-tissue and modern filler.
Filler has been used in many cosmetic procedures, such as; filling the blanks in the skin and lift the wrinkles. The filler is better than the surgical solution that requiring general anesthesia, the patient who will be injected with the Filler will get local anesthesia, so he will be relaxed, unable to feel the pain, make an opinion, and modifying what he wants.
The patient must stop smoking, because it reduces the amount of oxygen in the blood, and stop drinking alcohol and the green tea because they are making a blood-thinning, causing bleeding during the operation, and delay the process of blood clotting. The patient must not take medical drugs that contain ibuprofen, which can cause blood thinness, such aspirin, and must stop taking caffeine, such Arabic coffee, so as not to cause difficulty in the process of the anesthetize.
- The doctor discusses with the patient to understand the motives that bother him to perform rhinoplasty, decides together with the final look, and discusses the procedure and stages in detail.
- The doctor will examine the patient’s nose, of the next person to carry out the operation, and is aware of all the treatments and drugs that the patient
- The medical center performs the necessary tests for the patient, such as blood tests to measure diabetes and pressure, and know the general health of the patient.
- When the procedure is performed, the patient will get local or general anesthetizes, according to the technique, and the patient’s condition.
- The surgeon makes a small incision in the nose, whether internally or externally, then, the doctor reconstructs the bones and cartilage, and reshapes the nose.
- In the final stage, the patient wears a nasal splint, which remains for at least a week after the operation.
- The patient can return home, on the day of the operation, there is no overnight stay in the hospital.
- The operation takes one or two hours, according to each patient.
The patient will get back to his normal life and activities, within two or three weeks, by following the necessary instructions dictated by the doctor in this period, including:
- The patient must take the medicines, which dictated by the doctor, to reduces the pain and helps for healing wounds, such as antipoetic.
- To avoid extra activities, exercise, and practices, for at least three weeks.
- The nasal splint must be always dry, and keep it stable.
- The patient must stop smoking, for at least 15 days after the operation.
- The patient must not carry heavy things, for six weeks.
- The patient must sleep in a vertical way, and not lying on one side, to avoid the breathing problems, which may occur, and this is for two weeks.
- The patient must avoid sunrays, for at least 3 to 5 days.
Rhinoplasty side effects and complications
There are some complications and side effects, which may occur after rhinoplasty operation, and disappears when taking the necessary antibiotic and painkillers, dictated by the doctor, some of these complications are:
- Complications of anesthetizes, sometimes the patient is allergic to the substance of anesthetics.
- Tissue swelling, for 3 days.
- Nosebleeds for 24 hours after the operation, which fades away without treatment.
- Feeling itchy.
- Infection is rare.
- Bruising also occurs around the nose and the eyes but resolves after 3 days from the operation.
- Swelling might occur and it can be disposed of when you take anti-swelling drugs.
- Breath problems might occur, because of too much nasal reduction.
- Scars occur at the base of the nose and disappear within a month after the operation.
- The perversion of the nasal septum, due to the few experiences, which a surgeon have in rhinoplasty field, in addition to, it will be noticed after two months after the operation.
- The nasal septum has a great hole, due to the doctor’s incompetence, which may cause nose bleeding, and breathing problems.
The cost of rhinoplasty
The cost of rhinoplasty varies, according to each patient, the nose problems that the patient suffered, and the type of the operation; whether open rhinoplasty, closed rhinoplasty, or filler injection. The price starts from 2000$ to 5000$.
If you are looking for Rhinoplasty, and found in this article answers all your questions, please share with friends from the bottons down in the left side.