A perfect mix between modernity and ancient history, rich diversified culture that goes all the way back to the ottoman empire, perfect weather, nostalgic vibes and busy vibrant bazars full of authentic herbs, antiques and rare spices; all that and more made Turkey and especially Istanbul one of the most visited touristic hubs in the world.
Although, attracting visitors from all over the globe for all what’s above isn’t the only thing that Turkey is distinguished at; as traditional tourism is only one of the sectors that make wanderers from all around the world consider Turkey one of their all-time favorite destinations.
Medical tourism is one of the fastest growing industries in Turkey, that had successfully played a huge part in bringing thousands of international patients to Turkey; especially hair transplant. As in the last decade, Turkey has managed to be the number one name that comes to mind when hair transplant surgeries are mentioned; outstanding its main competitors in Europe and The US in the same field.
Turkey’s superior status in the field made has increased the average number of health tourists who flood monthly into the country for hair transplant only around (5000) patients; mostly coming from Europe and the Middle East. The country’s occupation to the number one hair transplantation spot in the world is due to many reasons which we will be explaining in this article in specific details.
How Turkey Became The Go-To Hair Transplant Destination
- Reasonable Cost
There’re many factors that made Turkey outstands its competitors in the field of hair transplantation; as well as growing this industry to be a 1-billion-dollar industry that attracts a huge number of medical tourists annually. Yet the most notable factor is the reasonable and efficient cost that differentiates hair transplantation clinics from those located in the US and Europe.
While maintaining the same quality and professionalism as those clinics in Europe and US; hair transplantation clinics in Turkey are distinguished by its lower costs, as the average price for a hair transplant operation in Turkey performed by government certified surgeons lies between (1500 to 2000) USD which is a much lower cost compared to the clinics in the US and Europe performing the same operation. Therefore, lots of hair transplantation diverse patients choose Turkey as their number one to-go hair transplant destination.
- Following International Medical Guidelines And Standards
Another factor that helps putting Turkey in the first place worldwide when it comes to hair transplantation is the strict and professional commitment that Turkey has towards the international clinical guidelines and medical ethics.
All credit goes to the Turkish ministry of health for its efforts, as it conducts lots of surprise visits and inspections to all medical institutions in Turkey; monitoring and examining, making sure that every medical establishment follows the international guidelines as well as working within the highest standards of medical quality. It also questions the credibility of every working doctor, as well as checking on the environment and equipment used within the medical facility.
- International Accreditation
Despite being accredited by the Turkish government and ministry of health; what really gives privilege to Turkish hair transplant clinic, is that most of them are certified not only by one, but by multiple international medical associations and hair transplant boards and institutions. Of these boards are the Joint Commission International (JCI); in fact, Turkey has the one of the highest number of medical institutions in the world recognized by (JCI).
The legitimacy that these international boards give to clinic in Turkey attracts medical tourist from everywhere as they have more trust in those accredited clinics. Most of hair transplantation clinics in turkey are also accredited by the international society of hair restoration surgery (ISHRS).
- Skilled And Experienced Doctors
One of the main keys in the success of hair transplant industry in Turkey, is the enormous experience that its hair transplant skilled surgeons. The reason for surgeon’s experience in Turkey is due to the big number of hair transplant operations each of these surgeons have performed; as the average hair transplant surgeon in Turkey has at least preformed thousands of surgeries with impressive results. Therefore, hair transplant surgeons in Turkey are very qualified with high calibers skills compared to those surgeons anywhere abroad.
- Continuous improvement
Due to the growing demand of thousands of patients choosing Turkey as their destination for their hair restoration; lots of clinics in Turkey found it necessary to up their game for those patients.
Therefore, clinics have emerged to meet those patients’ needs and wishes; as the huge turnout made the competition in the industry very strong and fierce. The thing that worked out well for the benefit of the industry, encouraging clinic to continuously have the eager to improve, in order to attract and entice more patients.
The competitive environment made hair transplant clinics in Turkey always have the aim to outshine, applying many methods such as introducing new cutting-edge technologies to the field, and staying up to date with all the techniques that are used in the industry.
- Excellent hospitality
Moreover, what distinguish hair transplant clinics in Turkey isn’t only their high-quality medical services; but their hospitality services as well.
Hair transplant clinics in Turkey are known for their excellent and luxurious hospitality services; starting from picking up patients at the airport, transportation, translation services to even sometimes arranging a sight-seeing program for them included in their visit to the historical beautiful country.
Clinics in Turkey do all that and more for the sole purpose of making the process of hair transplant easier and more enjoyable for the patients, the thing the explain why thousands of health tourist are choosing Turkey as their number one destination for hair restoration.
- In Conclusion
All the factors and points that are written above are what makes Turkey the number one in hair transplant in the world; yet to know that if we separate them they won’t lead to the 1-billion-dollar industry that Turkey has now.
But, combining them together is Turkey’s key to take the spotlight in the world whenever hair transplantation is mentioned anywhere, as well as attracting diverse thousands of patients from all over the world, because they know they are the winners from Turkey’s dedication to commit to offer the best quality within a reasonable price in order to have satisfied patients.
Note: Patients are highly advised to go for a professional medical examination, as these following information are not substitute to it. This information is limited on hair transplantation in Turkey, for an accurate and more detailed evaluation, the best thing to do is to visit a professional doctor.
What Patients Need To Know Before Planning a Trip to Turkey for Hair Transplant
In the past decade, hair transplant surgeries have become very common worldwide and especially in Turkey; to the point that health tourists actually started to forget about the complexity of the surgery ignoring very important precaution measures any patient who wants to undergo a hair transplantation surgery has to put in consideration.
The following are some points that any health tourist willing to embark on a trip to Turkey for hair transplant has to look up first, in order to get the results wished for, and to guarantee absolute safety throughout the procedure.
Who Is An Eligible Candidate For Hair Transplant In Turkey?
The most important factor you should put in consideration before deciding to undergo a hair transplant operation in Turkey, is to make sure you’re actually a perfect candidate for hair transplant or not!
This will help you adjust your expected results from the operation, to avoid any future disappointment if the results didn’t out as you expected, because you sat the bar too high without putting your condition in consideration,
Note: We recommend you to go for a professional consultation from an experienced accredited hair transplant doctor, as the following information is not personalized on every patient’s condition.
Therefore; the following information are some of the key points that make a perfect candidate for hair transplant in Turkey, it will help you notice some points that some patients neglect before planning to undergo a hair transplant surgery.
- The cause of hair loss
Many people suffer from hair loss and baldness; yet, suffering from hair loss or baldness doesn’t necessary make you a perfect candidate for hair transplant surgery in Turkey. As the cause of hair loss plays a big role in defining candidates for hair restoration surgeries.
If a person’s hair loss or baldness is caused by trauma, wither this trauma comes in forms of scars or burns, or if the hair loss is caused by androgenic alopecia or traction alopecia. In these cases, the patient is considered a perfect candidate to go for a hair transplant in Turkey.
On the other side, if the cause of hair loss is due to autoimmune disorder, full androgenic baldness or diffuse un-patterned alopecia; this makes the patient not eligible for hair transplant in Turkey or any other country.
- Having sufficient donor hair
One of the critical factors that determines wither a patient is a candidate for hair transplant or not, as it has a big impact on the results of the surgery. How so you ask; the more available donor hair regions a patient has, the more hair the patient will have implanted during the surgery. In Simpler words, the more adequate donor hair regions a patient has, the better results he will get out of the surgery.
Patients with no sufficient donor hair areas wouldn’t be suitable for hair transplant in Turkey or any other countries.
- Age and medical conditions
When it comes to the age factor in hair transplantation surgeries, it doesn’t really matter. Nevertheless, a patient becomes more suitable for the surgery if he’s above the age of 23, because at that age, it’s estimated for the hair loss patterns to have been stabilized by then, which will definitely lead to better results in the surgery.
Moreover, medical conditions also play a role in determining the candidacy of patients to undergo hair transplant surgeries; for instant, people suffering from blood-borne diseases such as hepatitis B, C and D and HIV can’t go for hair transplant surgeries in Turkey.
Yet some patients who suffer from metabolic diseases such as diabetes can undergo hair transplant surgeries in Turkey under the conditions that they’re in stable health-state and under medications, yet even then, some doctors consider them not eligible to undergo hair transplant surgeries.
In all cases, patients who suffer from any chronic diseases must consult their doctors before they consider hair transplant.
Choosing the Most Suitable Hair Restoration Technique for You
You have finished the consultation session, your doctor informed you that you’re an eligible candidate for hair transplant in Turkey; so, what’s the next step?!
The second step of planning to undergo hair transplant in Turkey is to pick up the most suitable hair restoration method for you. We understand that might be a drag considering the diverse range of options and methods being employed currently in the industry.
Therefore, in order for you as a patient to overcome this puzzling process; you need to understand the procedures of every technique alongside its pros and cons, and whether you’re a candidate for each technique or not.
Currently, hair transplant treatments in Turkey can be divided into two main categories; (surgical and non-surgical). The main surgical treatments are follicular unit transplantation (FUT), follicular unit extraction (FUE) and direct hair implantation (DHI) Choi; while the non-surgical ones are Minoxidil, Finasteride and platelet-rich plasma which is known as (PRP) therapy.
Surgical Hair Transplant Techniques Offered In Turkey
There’re series of steps that ought to be followed when patients undergo surgical hair transplantation treatments, regardless the nature of the treatment used in the hair transplant surgery. These steps are divided into 7 main ones that we will be presenting with details in the following.
- Drawing the hairline
The first step patients will undergo in the day of the hair transplant operation is drawing the hairline, as they will be led by nurses to the operation room, to change into the operation gown the clinic provide; doctors will then use a marking pen to draw the patient’s hairline borders. Once the hairline is approved by the patients and he’s satisfied with it, the rest of the steps continue as follows.
When it comes to the shaving step; it differs from a specific technique to another, as not all techniques require complete shaving. For example, complete shaving is required in FUT and FUE techniques; on the contrary, it’s not a necessity in DHI Choi technique, as trimming the donor area is enough in this technique. However, it’s advisable for the patients to completely shave their donor areas to avoid any risks of infection.
- Injecting local anesthetic
The third and last step before actually starting the operation is the anesthetic process; as patients who are undergoing any surgical procedure must be administrated to local Anastasia. The Anastasia used in hair transplant operations is local, doctors inject the anesthetic into the patient’s donor areas where hair follicles are going to be extracted, it’s also injected in the patient’s recipient area where those follicles are going to be implanted.
- Extracting grafts
The density of the patient’s donor area in the head determines where the follicles are going to be extracted from; the extraction will be done by a device called Micro Motor device, which has a puncher head that help freeing hairs from their roots and thus be easily harvested. This device is used for all used techniques in hair transplant.
The number of follicles extracted depend on two main things (the bald areas to be covered in the patient’s head and the number of hair to be implanted in the patient’s recipient area.
The process last between (1) to (3) hours based on the hair number meant to be extracted; as after hair extraction, they’re immediately preserved in a petri dish that contains either Saline or Hypothermosol solution.
- Separating follicular units
The next step is considered as the main step as it includes separating the hair follicular units which is part of the process of separating the hair grafts; this process depends on hair type; single, dual, triple, quad, and quinary, which each hair follicular contains.
The number of hairs a graft contains plays a role in where it’s going to be implanted; grafts with 1 or 2 hairs usually get implanted in the hairline to help reach an authentic look, while grafts that contains 3 or more hairs are used for the back and middle regions of the scalp.
- Opining implantation channels
In the stage of the process; your surgeon will create several punctures in your scalp to work as channels for the hair to be implanted, using a micro-sized scalpel. Though, in DHI technique; Choi Pens, it differs, as your surgeon will use a device pen- shaped to combine creating the channels and implanting the hairs in one step.
The process of opening the implantation channels usually takes around (1 to 3) hours, depending on the method as well as the number of the channels required.
- Implanting follicular units
Reaching the last step; after the surgeons have finished making channels for the implantation, your medical crew will start inserting the harvested hair follicles carefully into those channels using medical forceps.
Surgical Hair Treatments Offered In Turkey
- A- Follicular Unit Transplant (FUT)
One of the earliest surgical techniques that have been used in hair transplantation; Follicular Unit Transplant (FUT) is a surgical hair transplantation method that follows the basic steps mentioned above.
However, (FUT) differs from the other techniques in the donor hair collecting process.
The hair extracting process in (FUT) is what differs it from the other techniques, as the donor region is excised entirely from the scalp at a depth of (5-7) mm instead of extracting the hairs individual. The medical crew in (FUT) technique separate the follicular units using a microscope. The rest of the steps follow the same procedure as the mentioned above in the steps for hair transplantation.
Advantages of Follicular Unit Transplant (FUT):
- More authentic look
- When comparing it to other surgical treatments used in hair restoration we can say that the (FUT) treatment is reasonably cheap.
- Compared to FUE and DHI Choi treatments, FUT use fewer follicular for the extracting and transplanting process.
- More hair follicular can be extracted per session in FUT.
Candidates for Follicular Unit Transplant (FUT)
- Patients who don’t have much donor hair regions.
- Patients who don’t mind a longer recovery, as FUT’s recovery period is relatively longer than the other treatment.
- Patients who are okay with having a linear scar caused by the intense nature of the surgery.
- Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE)
Considered as the most popular hair restoration surgical treatment in Turkey, FUE follows the same steps as all hair transplant surgical treatment, starting from the application of the anesthetic on the donor and recipient areas in the patient’s scalp, to the stage of hair extraction.
The hair extraction stage in FUE surgical treatment is done by extracting individual hair follicles by a punch designed to separate the hairs from each other. The micro-size of the punch used to extract the hair leaves a slight scare on the patient’s donor region.
Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) advantages
- The scar caused by FUE is very microscopic that can’t even be noticed with the naked eye.
- FUE surgical treatment gives a permanent nature looking hair
- If a patient doesn’t have enough hair in his scalp’s donor region, body hair can be used as donor hair.
- The recovery period is short and easy compared to FUT.
- Little pain after the surgery.
Candidates for FUE surgical technique:
- People with relatively small balding areas.
- People who are redoing their hair transplant on areas like eyebrows or beards.
- Patients who have little donor density in their scalp donor regions.
- People looking for quick recovery after hair transplantation.
- People with a tight schedule. Hence, the FUE treatment is rapid in quick in recovery.
- People who suffered from traumatic burns and scars, so they’re not able to grow hair in certain areas anymore.
B.2- Sapphire follicular unit extraction (FUE)
We can defiantly consider sapphire FUE as one branch of the FUE technique; as it follows the same process and steps in everything, the only difference between sapphire FUE and FUE lies in the scalpel used to open the channels; FUE depends on a metallic scalpel, which require a longer healing time. However in Sapphire FUE; the scalpel is made of Sapphire, which maintain the tissues safety, and it only requires a short time for complete healing.
In Sapphire FUE, the scalpel blades are made from sapphire gemstones, which allows the scalpel blades to be made in such a way that the end-point is V-shaped; this characteristics of a scalpel blade allows for more specific and immaculate minuscule punctures without inflicting any damage on healthy follicles.
In the standard FUE method, the blades are made from regular steel and have U-shaped end-points; the scalpel blade is the equipment used to make incisions implantation on the recipient area.
Sapphire follicular unit extraction (FUE) advantages:
- There’re no scars at all.
- There’s no damage to the neighbor healthy follicles.
- Permanent authentic hair look.
- Quick recovery and less pain.
Candidates for Sapphire follicular unit extraction (FUE)
- Patients who suffer from advanced hair loss
- Patients who don’t have much density in the donor areas.
- People who are looking for an invasive method of hair restoration.
- People who has busy schedules and looking for a quick and easy recovery.
- Patients who have thick hair and looking to increase their hair density without damaging any neighbor healthy follicles or tissue.
- Direct Hair Implant (DHI) Choi pen
Last but not least; introducing the method that is relatively considered the most modern technique in hair transplant; direct hair transplant using Choi pen, known as (DHI) is similar to (FUE). It follows the regular hair transplant procedure starting with applying Anastasia to the final step of implantation.
Despite it following the exact same procedure as the standard FUE up until the implantation process; DHI differs in the equipment used in the implantation process, as DHI hair transplant use a pen called Choi pen; which is a pen that looks like hallow needle, and it’s the main difference that differs DHI from the other techniques.
The Choi pen benefits in combining two steps together; which are opening the channels and implanting the follicles. First, the Choi pen is loaded with individual extracted grafted hairs at a time; then, it opens channels and implant the hair follicles by loading them in while making the incisions at the same time.
Direct Hair Implant (DHI) Choi pen advantages :
Very invasive procedure that is not traumatic to the skin
- Authentic nature and permanent hair look
- Keep neighbor follicles healthy and safe
- Quick and non-painful recovery
- Cause minimal scarring that can’t even be seen by the naked eyes
Candidates for Direct Hair Implant (DHI)
- Patients who don’t mind higher cost for the hair transplant surgery; as DHI method is considered the most modern technique in hair transplant, though it’s higher in cost.
- DHI is relatively a longer procedure than the others, so patients who don’t mind a longer procedure are a good fit for this method.
- Anyone with a busy schedule and in need for a procedure that has quick recovery and less invasive procedure.
The Robot technique is basically a robot the helps the hair transplant doctor to identify the baldness areas as well as checking the density of the patient’s donor regions; it also chooses the best and healthiest follicles for implantation, as well as providing 3D prints to the procedure’s results.
Non-Surgical Hair Transplant Treatments Offered In Turkey
A non-surgical procedure for hair transplant that is approved by the FDA. Minoxidil is one of the treatments which works for men and women equally, it comes in a liquid form, the patient should rub it on his/her scalp daily, for a period of six months at least. This kind of treatment is a long-term treatment and requires consistency to maintain hair growth and restores the bald areas.
This non-surgical procedure works only for men, it’s also FDA approved and it’s a long-term treatment as well. The finasteride treatment is taken orally in a form of a daily pill taken by the patient to result deduction in the patient’s hair loss and maintain some hair growth.
Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) therapy
Despite not being approved by the FDA, this treatment is considered the most popular non-surgical treatment in the past few years. The PRP therapy is known for that name as it collects platelet-rich plasma from the patient’s blood which contain growth factors; the collected plasma then get injected into the patient’s scalp to trigger hair growth. The PRP works when multiple sessions are applied monthly, it takes from (6) months to a year until results could be observed.
Choosing the Right Clinic and Doctors for Hair Transplant In Turkey
Note: big part of the results that outcome form a hair transplant surgery depend on the skills and experience your surgeons poses, this is equally important to what hair transplant treatment you’ll undergo. And even though hair transplant clinics in Turkey is distinguished; yet it’s very important for you as a patient to check the credibility of the clinic.
In Turkeyana clinic, we offer you the best experienced and skilled certified surgeons, with a package of the most advanced hospitality services, to bring the best results out of your hair transplant procedure, as well as keeping you satisfied with our services. Turkeyana clinic, we simply change your life.
The following tips provide the highlights and key points that are important for every person considering looking for a hair transplant clinic or surgeon in Turkey
- A clinic accreditation is very important, if a hair transplant clinic is accredited from international medical or hair transplant associations like JCI or ISHRS, this means that this clinic is professional when it comes to following surgical and medical guidelines.
- Helping patients to choose the right treatment for them is an important point that shows wither a clinic is a good clinic or not. Moreover, a good hair transplant clinic is supposed to offer a free consolation session for its patients, for diagnoses and to know the main cause of hair loss.
- Patients should check wither the clinic and its patients are governmentally certified or not; as well as checking the surgeon’s experience in the hair transplant field.
- Some non-qualified clinic use hair transplant technicians to preform instead of surgeons; therefore, make sure that your hair transplant surgery is actually going to be performed by qualified and experienced surgeons who have a good reputation.
- For any hair transplant surgery’s results can’t be predicted totally accurate; a good clinic should provide excellent follow up services, to make sure their patients are satisfied with the results of the surgery.
- Do check the catalogue of the before and after photos that should be presented by the clinic, to assure you of the previous results achieved by the clinic and its surgeons.
- Do a research on the prices of hair transplant surgeries in Turkey before choosing a clinic; as it’s much safer to go for a clinic that offers the hair transplant surgery within an average price; putting in mind that clinics which offer cheap prices for the surgery usually have a bad reputation and will lead to bad experience and results.
Pre-hair transplant surgery preparations
- Precautions and instructions to follow 1-2 weeks before surgery
Avoid using any blood thinners as well as any anti-inflammatory medicines at least 2 nights before the surgery.
- Refrain from indorsing any supplements like vitamins at least a period of two weeks before the surgery date.
- Alcohol and smoking are very likely to have bad effects regarding the healing process. Therefore, it’s strongly advised to stop any consumption of them at least a week before the surgery.
- Patients are advised to message their scalp from 10-30 minutes a day; this works on improving the blood circulation in the area, do that daily a week prior to the hair transplant surgery.
- Precautions to consider 24 hours before surgery
- Patients who are to undergo a hair transplant surgery are not advised to get a haircut before the surgery.
- Getting a good amount of sleep and resting before the surgery helps with patients with the healing process and even during the surgery itself.
- A patient’s hair should be thoroughly washed using normal hair shampoo.
- Preparations to take on the day of the surgery
- Patients should avoid consuming any coffee or caffeinated drinks; as this drinks can increase the risk of bleeding.
- Your scalp is ought to be cleansed on the day of the surgery. Therefore, avoid applying any hair products.
- A light breakfast will help you get some energy while staying active and not feeling heavy.
- Wear clothes with wide collars; put in consideration this is important, to avoid irritating the scalp while putting on your clothes before and after the surgery.
Instructions for a smooth recovery from a hair transplant surgery :
- Instructions for the first week after surgery:
The first thing that patients notice immediately after their hair transplant surgery, is their newly shaped and defined hairline. At first, surly the area of the scalp might not look very pleasant to the eyes due the swelling and scabbing around the follicles. Yet, the swelling and scabbing are supposed to heal in no time after the surgery; normally it takes around a week.
Surgeons will provide patients with some after-surgery tips and instructors, to help them have a smooth and rapid recovery; as patients are expected to continue their regular daily life on a normal routine just right after the surgery.
- Alcohol, smoking, caffeinated drinks and anti-inflammatory medicines are absolutely forbidden for at least (7) days after the surgery.
- After a hair implantation surgery; patients are advised not to shower for the first two days after the surgery. Patients are also advised to keep showering to the minimum after the two days period passes, as well as avoiding applying any pressure on the scalp while washing it. Thought, water are not to be applied directly on the scalp with any kind of force; instead, it’s better to use a cup to pour water gently on the scalp. The reason for this is to avoid damaging any implanted hair follicles.
- Refrain from being exposed to any direct sun rays for at least a week after the surgery. You can use a cap to protect the scalp.
- Patients are advised to sleep at an inclined angle of (45) degrees for (7) days after the surgery, as this will help to reduce the swelling risk.
- Applying sterile saline spray daily on the scalp for around (3-4) days is an important part of the recovering process.
- Instructions for the second and fourth week after surgery:
A lot of patients get worried at this stage of the recovery; as the transplanted hairs start to shed. But, actually there’s no need to worry at all; in fact, this is a good sign as this is a part of the process. As what’s shedding is just the hair not the unit implanted. Therefore, as long as the unit is still entrenched in the scalp, it’s able to generate new hair.
- Patients should continue to protect their scalp from being exposed to direct sun rays.
- It is totally safe for patients to get a haircut during this period of the recovery.
Hair growth timeline and results :
While time passes; patients will notice some significant changes; in (3) months from the surgery, the appearance of a patient’s scalp starts to look different as acne starts to appear and it might get ridden a bit. But. There’s absolutely no need to worry; the appearance of acne is so normal, as the appearance of acne happens due to the hair growth through the scalp, which is a clear sign of inflammation.
The acne could be treated with oral or serum antibiotics or any ointments that contains Benzoyl Peroxide or Salicylic acid. Also, patients are advised to take worm showers at this period of recovery.
When the patient hits the (4-5) month milestone, patients will be able to see the pattern of hair growth, and start predicting the final results of the hair transplant surgery. A patient’s hair in this period might grow light in color and a bit brittle; yet, as time goes by, hair is expected to grow in a darker color and in a thicker and stronger pattern.by the 8-10 month, the hair will have reached the peak of its growth process.
After one year from the surgery; patients will start to notice major transformation regarding their hair; as the pattern and density of the hair growth will be settled and completed. Patients should be satisfied with the final appearance as it’s supposed to be very natural look as in appearance and attitude.
Recommended complementary treatments for optimal results
Aside from strictly following the instructions given by their surgeons; there’re some complementary treatments to hair transplant surgery offered in Turkey that can accentuate and improve the final results of the surgery.
- Usage of shampoos or lotions that contain Minoxidil can strength the implanted hairs.
- Usage of hair supplements like vitamins are essential in hair strength; as it helps build blocks for hair protein that will defiantly play a role in producing a less damaged and brittle hairs.
- Applying (PRP) therapy for hair loss as a complementary treatment helps in activating the growth factors in the implanted grafts.
Risk of infection after hair transplant surgery
With any cut in the skin; comes the risk of getting an infection. As the risk of infection and open wounds always come together, wither this open wound is because of a surgery or an accident, once one comes, the other might follow, talking about open wounds and risk of infection.
That being said, we know that hair transplant surgeries include opening channels in the scalp as well as extracting the follicles; which can provide a path for germs leaving the scalp. Despite the possibility of an infection happening during hair transplant surgeries; only 1% of hair transplant patients suffer from any serious infection. Yes the possibility is quite small, yet, it’s very important to learn how to eliminate the risk of infection, as serious infections have very bad impact on the results of the hair transplant surgery.
Symptoms of infection after hair transplant surgery
Quite often the symptoms of infection get confused with healing process symptoms; yet, there’s a way to differentiate between the two. If the healing signs don’t alleviate within one week instead it actually gets worse, the patient might be dealing with some kind of infection then.
Look out for
(Bleeding – itching – swelling – redness – discomfort – burning sensation) in the scalp that continues for a long time or gets worse. In this case, a patient should seek professional help.
Instructions to avoid infections:
- Patients should refrains from touching or scratching the donor regions on their scalp, to reduce the risk of spreading germs to the wounds.
- Don’t pick the Scabs around the healing follicles.
- Patients are advised to use the shampoo their surgeons has prescribed for at least 14 days after the surgery.
- Smoking and alcohol are strictly prohibited during the first week after the surgery, as it makes the wounds healing process harder.
- Patients of hair transplant surgeries are expected to take very good care of their personal hygiene and follow the instructions given by their doctors.
- Patients should take care of their transplanted hair by, spraying the saline solution on a gauze and gently tap it around the scalp twice for 30 minutes during the first 3 days.
- As for the donor regions on the scalp, patients should apply antibiotic ointments such as Polysporin twice per day to prevent the site from getting infected.
How to alleviate recovery symptoms :
While mild bleeding might be normal during the first days; it will progressively disappear within days as the wounds will heal. Patients can attend the bleeding by applying pressure using sterile gauze on the bleeding area, note that rubbing the scalp too hard might be harmful for the hair roots.
Professional help should be asked for if the bleeding doesn’t stop.
When the wounds are healing, the itching occurs; the best solution is to refrain from any scratching at the areas that might be a possibility of dislocating grafts. Gentle washing of the donor regions on the scalp will definitely hasten the process of shedding crusts.
Doctors will prescribe some pain killers for the patients after their surgeries, these pain killers are supposed to be taken as told by the doctors, and it should be enough to keep patient’s discomfort and pain under control.
Services for International patients in Turkey
From warm greetings in the airport, to arranging 5-stars accommodations, transportations to and from the clinic and all day translation services to even complementary PRP therapy sometimes; we can easily say that hair transplant clinics in Turkey have big consideration towards international patients. Providing them with the concept of absolute comfort and satisfaction, though they provide their patients with extra services.
Planning a medical tourism trip to Turkey
With all what’s mentioned above; now you have more than enough information to make your mind about undergoing a hair transplant surgery in Turkey. Once you have decided, it’s time for the next and final stage of having a hair transplant in Turkey, “planning the trip”.
Step 1: Free consultation
You’ve done your research, and you have choose a good accredited clinic that has a good reputation. Now, as a patient, you ought to contact the clinic you have chosen to schedule a free consultation session. During this session, you’ll be asked to send the clinic recent pictures of your scalp, the regions which suffer from hair loss as well as the donor regions. Your doctors will use this pictures to give a detailed evaluation to determine wither you are a candidate to undergo the hair transplant surgery or not, based the sufficiency of your donor regions.
Patients will also be asked to provide their medical history, a copy of their latest hair loss diagnostic and some regular blood testes; as these will help in determining patient’s candidacy for the procedure.
Note: If a patient has never done any testes to underline the cause of his hair loss; he’s advised to ask for his local dermatology for a diagnosis. It’s recommended for international patients to do their hair diagnosis test at the clinic of their choice in Turkey, even though they can, the reason is this might deny the eligibility of the patient.
- Diagnosing hair loss
Patients who are considering to undergo a hair transplant surgery in Turkey are highly advised to identify the reason of their hair loss; as in some cases, hair transplant can’t restore their lost hair.
How hair loss is diagnosed?
- Blood tests
Patients run blood tests to determine wither the reason of the hair loss comes from an autoimmune disorder. For example, lupus or an overactive thyroid. Irregular hormones levels can also cause hair loss.
– Hair analysis
Your local dermatology will take a sample of your hair and examine it under the microscope, this analysis is done particularly to determine the hair loss as well as looking for any lice or fungus. It is also done to evaluate the level of the damage.
A magnification device that checks for any shrinking in the hair follicles.
- Scalp biopsy
A small tissue from the scalp is removed using a micro sized punch and sent to the lab for testing, this test is requested only in very rare situations.
Step 2: Booking a flight
Once you’re considered eligible to undergo the hair transplant surgery, an appointment will be fixed for you by the clinic based on your schedule. Put in mind the clinics in Turkey don’t cover flights fees. Yet, the accommodation fees will be covered by the clinic, as well as transportations to and from the clinic, starting from greeting you at the Airport.
Step 3: In-person consultation (day 1)
Arriving to Turkey, patients will be welcomed at the airport by representatives from the clinic; then, they will be transported either to the Airport or directly to the clinic do their first consultation session in person.
During this session, doctors will ask for some blood tested as well as some scans for the scalp to make sure that the patients is an eligible candidate to undergo the hair transplant surgery. Method of treatment and number of grafts to be taken will also be decided in this session.
Step 4: The Surgery (day 1 or day 2)
Depending on the patient’s arrival time to Turkey, it will be decided wither he will undergo the surgery in the same day of arrival or the next day. As if he arrives late at day to Turkey, the surgery will be assigned to the next day.
Step 5: Washing (day 2 or day 3)
Patients will go back to the clinic the day after surgery for scalp washing; the scalp will be gently risen using warm water by the nurses, then the nurses are going to apply a solution to ease the process of rinsing the clots off. This step is to be done very carefully in order to avoid inflicting any damage on the implanted hair follicles.
Recovery and tourism in Turkey
Patients who undergo their hair transplant surgeries in Turkey have two choices after there are done with surgeries; they can either travel back directly to their home countries, or they can spend some times enjoying the variety of activities that the beautiful country of Turkey offers.
Fortunately, hair transplant surgeries in Turkey are rapid, quick in recovery and don’t require hospitalization. Therefore, you have plenty of time to enjoy the unique Turkish food, historical places to visit and fantastic weather for some walks around.
For medical tourists recovering from hair transplant surgeries; we recommend some of the following activities and places you can visit in beautiful Turkey; don’t forget to keep your scalp covered and stay hydrated.
- If you want to enjoy a phenomenal view of Istanbul, you should definitely visit Galata Tower.
- Visit some historical places like Topkapi Palace and Hagia Sophia; which are famous for their brilliant architecture and historical values.
- Have a Bosphorus cruise on the strait that divides Asia and Europe. It’s a beautiful experience that you shouldn’t miss.
- Experience the museum of the Turkish and Islamic that has over 40.000 items on exhibition and captures the essence of life during the 8th century to the 19th
Frequently asked questions about hair transplant In Turkey :
- What is the duration of a hair transplant surgery ?
As the hair transplant surgery requires many steps; the total duration of the multi-step procedures of 6-8 hours. The duration varies, depending on the treatment method used in the surgery and the number of grafts that are going to be execrated and implanted.
Opening the channels in the scalp and extraction take around 1-3 hours, depending on the number of follicles to be implanted.
Patients will take breaks between the steps of the surgery, they can eat a light meal, and rest a bit. The entire process of the surgery, washing and everything take 2 days.
- Are the results of a hair transplant surgery permanent ?
Yes indeed, the results of hair transplant surgeries are permanent; as the transplanted hair which are extracted from the patient’s donor regions are resistant to DHT, which is the androgen that triggers hair loss and baldness.
- Does the transplanted hair fall out ?
Indeed, after around three weeks from the date of the surgery, hair will start to shed out; however, patients should note that this is just the implanted hair fallen not the follicular unit; the follicular units are the ones responsible for hair growth. Therefore, hair loss at this stage shouldn’t be a concern to the patients.
- How many grafts do patients need ?
It differs, as the number of grafts needed varies from a patient to another depending on the degree of baldness, then the surgeon decide exactly the number of grafts that the patient needs.
However, the following table includes some classes of hair loss and the approximate number of grafts needed for every class of every case.
Even though, some patients think that. Yet, over grafting won’t yield a more natural-looking hair results. As the average hair density per cm square is between 60 to 85 follicular units.
- Will there be any scaring left after undergoing a hair transplant?
When using the FUE technique; the results scaring are very minimal that it’s actually not visible to the naked eyes; same goes to DHI Choi pens technique as it doesn’t cause any scaring due to the usage of the Choi pens. So the answer is no, scaring shouldn’t be any concern to you as it’s not even visible.
- Will I feel pain during and after a hair transplant surgery?
No, you won’t feel any pain during the surgery. Surgeons will inject anesthetic to the areas would be operated on by a needle, while before and after the surgery patients are to be given pain killers so no pain will be felt whatsoever. Also, patients will be prescribed pain killers and instructions how to use them during the recovery period.
- When can I get back to work?
Hair transplant surgery doesn’t require hospitalization, and patients can resume their regular activities almost instantly after the surgery. However, patients are advised to rest for a few days before heading back to work.
- What do I need to consider before getting a hair transplant in Turkey?
First, patients need to do their research about the topic; as the more you know the less you’ll be disappointed and the more realistic your expectations will be. Also, Patients are advised to choose a well-known clinic that is accredited internationally relative associations as well as checking their surgeon’s credibility and experience.
- Is there an age limit on who can undergo a hair transplant surgery in Turkey?
When it comes to hair transplant, age isn’t actually a deciding factor. Yet, it’s advisable to wait until the age of 25 years before considering a hair transplant surgery, though the patterns of hair are going to be stable by this age.
- Can women undergo hair transplant Surgery in Turkey?
Yes, women can undergo hair transplant surgeries in Turkey following the same procedures that go for men. For women, to be eligible for the surgery, the reason of hair loss have to not be because of any autoimmune disorder.
Also, women who suffer from full androgenic baldness, alopecia totalis and diffuse un-patterned alopecia are totally not eligible for hair transplant in Turkey.
- What is the difference between the number of grafts, follicular units and number of hairs ?
The definition of graft in medical terms is any living tissue that has been removed from the body to be placed in another place other than its original place, to substitute another damaged tissue.
In hair transplants, the follicular units are extracted from their original place on the donor regions to be transplanted to areas of hair loss. Hence, calling follicular units grafts often. Note that, the one follicular unit contains about 1 to 5 hairs.